Gorgeous porcelain bust of Louise Brongniart by Tharaud, Limoges, after the originals by Jean-Antoine Houdon (1741-1828). Made in a finely detailed bisque porcelain on a royal blue enameled base with gilding.
One of a pair, Louise and Alexandre were the children of the architect Alexandre Théodore Brongniart (1739-1813), famous for having built the Paris Bourse (old Stock Exchange), the Palais Brongniart. Brongniart was also the designer of the Capuchin monastery in the Rue d’Antin (now the Lycée Condorcet) and was a friend of the sculptor Clodion. His son, Alexandre Brongniart, became a distinguished mineralogist and a specialist in firing techniques, directing the Sèvres porcelain manufactory from 1800-1847.
Measures :H21 cm x W12 cm x D9 cm
Green factory mark for Limoges France – Gold Meissner printed stamp
Dates to the mid twentieth century.
Condition : Excellent, no damages to the porcelain, checked with UV light.
More detailed photos can be emailed please use the contact us form.