History of the Rosenthal factory
Philipp Rosenthal (1855-1937) began business in Germany in 1884. Initially he purchased white ware from the company Hutschenreuther which was resold door to door after being hand-painted by his wife Maria. In 1891, he established a factory in Asch, Bohemia and began production of his own white ware.
Into the twentieth century and a more affluent Germany emerged with improved living conditions and a disposable income appeared. Rosenthal spotted the unfilled market and started mass scale production of porcelain aimed at the newly emerging market. In only two generations the family firm expanded into a world class player. With a vision for modern art, freelance artists were employed and the interior decoration business began. In 1910 the art department at Selb was founded employing designers such as Himmelstoss, Karner, Oppel, Holzer-Defanti, Liebermann, Cassmann and many others. The same year the factory won the gold medal for it’s quality porcelain at the world fair Paris. Over the decades other factories were acquired in ceramics, glass, utensils and furniture. It’s top quality porcelain is still admired today for the way they captured their subjects movement, form and liveliness.
Fritz Heidenreich ( 1895 – 1966 )
Fritz Heidenreich was a ceramist and sculptor. He was a Rosenthal employee from 1919 to 1960, and from 1946 onwards the head of the art department in Selb. His artistic activities did not merely end with sculpting wildlife or birds in porcelain – he also tried to find contemporary ways of expressing his sense of forms. The most excellent proof of his works for Rosenthal may be the group of fish “Scalare” and also the legendary “Orchideenvase” which was dubbed “Pregnant Luise”.
Awards: – Grand Prix auf der Weltausstellung Paris (1937) “Scalare”