After its founding in 1835, the Thuringian porcelain manufactory Scheibe-Alsbach achieved world renown within a few decades. As early as 1850 their figurine collections enjoyed enormous popularity due to their superb craftsmanship, they were made exclusively by hand using only the best raw materials.
In the year 1905 Kister turned the business into a private liability company, A.W.F. Kister G.m.b.H. and introduced the crossed-through ‘S’ mark. During an exhibition in Turin (Italy) in 1911, the company was awarded its 12th gold medal in addition to the two silver medals and six Grand Prix awards received earlier at national and international displays. This of course increased business and in 1913 the company employed just over 300 workers.
Since the German Democratic Republic had been founded in 1949 the overall economic interests slowly shifted in the direction of integrating all the well known porcelain manufacturers into the process of gaining urgently needed foreign currency. Control of the cashflow was the main problem but the state solved it by simply forcing larger factories into a mixed company form that allowed state participation. The factory in Scheibe-Alsbach was put under this form of state supervision in the year 1962 and the status remained until the factory was totally nationalised in 1972.
After German reunification in 1990 the factory was finally re privatised.