About Bing and Grondahl factory
Bing & Grøndahl was founded on April 15, 1853, by Grøndahl, who was a figurine maker for the Royal Danish Porcelain Factory, and the Bing brothers, who were art and book dealers. Grøndahl initially began the company to produce bisque figurines modelled on neoclassical figures. The company extended production to include high style dinnerware and coffee sets.
The company’s signature design, Seagull, was created in 1892 by designer Fanny Garde (1855-1925). The modest, classic design features flying seagulls against pale blue backgrounds, sea horse handles and shaded patterns of scales around the edges. Due to its popularity from the 1950s to the 1980s, the Seagull design was considered the “National Service of Denmark”. During that period one out of every ten Danish households owned some of the dinnerware service.
In 1895, Bing & Grøndahl created the first in their series of Christmas plates. Designed with a traditional winter scene in cobalt blue and white, the plates have been released annually for more than 100 years. Noted as desirable by collectors, this series became responsible for a large portion of the company’s production.
Figurines were very popular at the turn of the century and many animal figures as well as those of children were produced.
In 1987 the company merged with its primary competitor Royal Copenhagen.