Indian Elephant

£220.00

“In India the state of Rajasthan was a popular destination for many royal figures who would take elephant rides to the Amber Palace of Jaipur. Elephants symbolize royalty according to the traditions of Rajasthan and are believed to be associated with Buddha and Jainism. According to Indian Mythology, devas (gods) and the asuras (demons) stirred the ocean, in the hopes that they would become eternal. Suddenly, nine jewels also known as the “navratnas” surfaced from the ocean. Of the nine jewels that reappeared, one of them was an elephant. Since then, the elephant has been regarded as a sacred and precious animal. They are bedecked in finery and paraded at many Indian festivals.”

This is a truly wonderful Indian elephant, finely detailed and hand painted in bright colours and heavily gilded.

Marked on base with green Hutschereuther lion 1814 Germany. Dates to the 1960s.

Factory first quality

Stands 16 x 22 cm

Condition : Excellent, no damages to the porcelain, a little rubbing to the gilding, checked with UV light.

More detailed photos can be emailed please use the contact us form

In stock

Categories: , , Tag:

Description

History of the Hutschenreuther factory

Karl Mangus Hutschenreuther established one of the first private porcelain decorating factories in Germany in Hohenberg, Bavaria in 1814 after finding kaolin (also called “china clay,” the essential ingredient for porcelain) in north-eastern Bavaria. Here he established his company, which thrived through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The company has always been associated, as it is today, with a rare fusion of state-of-the-art production technology and old-world craftsmanship.

In addition to decorating white ware, Hutchenreuther wanted to produce his own patterns, and after an eight year struggle with the Bavarian Government (which was not interested in creating competition for the state-owned factory), Hutschenreuther received the necessary permission to begin production in 1822. Upon his death in 1845, his son Lorenz founded his own Hutschenreuther Porcelain company in Selb. Son Christian and widow Johanna also worked to carry on the company tradition.

In the early part of the 20th century, Hutschenreuther grew quickly by absorbing factories at Altrohlau (1909), Arzburg (1918) and Tirschenreuth (1927). The branches of the company were united in 1969. Hutschenreuther was a trend-setter and enabled Germany to gain an excellent reputation in the European china industry. The Hutschenreuther “Mark of the Lion” is a symbol of excellence that continues to this day. Since the year 2000 the name that designates this ware is Rosenthal.

You may also like…