Dresden Porcelain is often confused with Meissen porcelain, but only because Meissen blanks were used initially.
However, Dresden porcelain refers more to an artistic movement than a particular porcelain company. In fact, several competing ceramic studios emerged under the Dresden umbrella, particularly in the Saxony capital in response to the rise of romanticism during the 19th century.
Dresden was an important centre for the artistic, cultural and intellectual movement, and it attracted painters, sculptors, poets, philosophers and porcelain decorators alike. It was not the porcelain factories but the painting studios that were responsible for Dresden Porcelain being so well known all over the world.
Carl Thieme Potschappel Factory
Carl-Johann Gottlob Thieme established a porcelain factory in 1872 named Sächsische Porzellan-Fabrik Carl Thieme zu Potschappel. After his death in 1888 the business was taken over by his talented son in law, Karl August Kuntsch. Kuntsch was a modeller who started a tradition of flower decorations, a typical style for Dresden porcelain items. He died in 1920. His widow and two sons (Carl August and Emil Alfred) successfully run the company over the next years.
After WWII Dresden came under communist rule and Emil Kuntsch was pushed out of the company, the state gradually taking over.
1972 the company was fully nationalised and until 1990 operated as VEB Sächsische Porzellan-Manufaktur Dresden.
In 1991 the company was privatised.