Gustavsberg has manufactured porcelain since 1825.
However, the Gustavsberg history originates from the 1600s, when Gustav Gabrielsson Oxenstierna and his wife, Maria de la Gardie, founded a brickyard in Farsta bay. In memory of Oxenstierna, Farsta bay later came to change its name to Gustavsberg. Though it was not until 1825 that Gustavsberg became known for its manufacturing of porcelain.
The 200-year-old brickworks is closed, and in 1825, the owner is granted by the National Board of Trade an authorisation to “establish and operate a factory for miscellaneous porcelain”.
Around the middle of the 1800s, Gustavsberg starts to manufacture its own products in the English style, and to mark the change, the now-familiar anchor stamp is introduced in 1839.
For more than 100 years, Gustavsberg primarily concentrates on making household porcelain and decorative items. Most noteworthy from the artistic production were the Majolica and Parian objects.
Stig Lindberg (1916-1982)
Lindberg was a Swedish ceramic designer, glass designer, textile designer, industrial designer, painter, and illustrator. One of Sweden’s most important postwar designers, Lindberg created whimsical studio ceramics and graceful tableware lines during a long career with the Gustavsberg factory. Stig Lindberg studied painting at the University College of Arts, Crafts and Design. In 1937, he went to work at Gustavsberg under Wilhelm Kåge. In 1949, he was named Kåge’s successor as art director. From this period until he left Gustavsberg in 1980, he designed individual ceramic items, as well as factory produced ranges and lines of dinnerware. He achieved fame for his eccentric forms and whimsical decoration.