History of the Hutschenreuther factory
Karl Mangus Hutschenreuther established one of the first private porcelain decorating factories in Germany in Hohenberg, Bavaria in 1814 after finding kaolin (also called “china clay,” the essential ingredient for porcelain) in north-eastern Bavaria. Here he established his company, which thrived through the nineteenth and twentieth centuries. The company has always been associated, as it is today, with a rare fusion of state-of-the-art production technology and old-world craftsmanship.
In addition to decorating white ware, Hutchenreuther wanted to produce his own patterns, and after an eight year struggle with the Bavarian Government (which was not interested in creating competition for the state-owned factory), Hutschenreuther received the necessary permission to begin production in 1822. Upon his death in 1845, his son Lorenz founded his own Hutschenreuther Porcelain company in Selb. Son Christian and widow Johanna also worked to carry on the company tradition.
In the early part of the 20th century, Hutschenreuther grew quickly by absorbing factories at Altrohlau (1909), Arzburg (1918) and Tirschenreuth (1927). The branches of the company were united in 1969. Hutschenreuther was a trend-setter and enabled Germany to gain an excellent reputation in the European china industry. The Hutschenreuther “Mark of the Lion” is a symbol of excellence that continues to this day. Since the year 2000 the name that designates this ware is Rosenthal.
Karl Tutter ( 1883 – 1969 )
Tutter received his artistic education at art school in Austria, studied drawing and painting with Josef Mayr. During the First World War , Tutter was taken prisoner and spent six years in Eastern Siberia . Here he modelled in the State Museum of Regional Studies under the leadership of explorer Vladimir Klavyevich Arsenyev . On release he worked at the Royal Privileged Porcelain Factory Tettau, and Sitzendorfer Porzellanmanufaktur . In 1922 he moved to the Porcelain factory Lorenz Hutschenreuther and soon became artistic director of the local art department with Carl Werner. Both contributed significantly to the success of the factory. With great imagination Tutter created expressive and saleable sculptures. The palette of his designs ranged from bombastic, lovely cherub candlesticks to strictly stylised figures in Art Deco style . He participated in exhibitions in Prague, in Munich at the Great German Art Exhibition as well as in Regensburg, Bayreuth, Kulmbach and elsewhere.
In 1941 he received the honorary prize for plastic in Bayreuth.